Magestore POS is a new sales channel of Magento, likes Magento website. Therefore, following the architecture of Magento Inventory Management, the POS Location will be linked to Magento Stock and Magento Source. When you create a new POS Location, you also need to create a Magento Stock and Magento Source to manage inventory of that Location.
This is the data flow from Magento Inventory to Magestore POS.
- Magento Source: contains the physical quantity of items in a Location. If you want to set up inventory of POS Location, you need to configure the quantity of items in the linked Magento Source.
- Magento Stock: contains the salable quantity of items in a location. The items in the Stock will be displayed on the POS screen. Then cashiers can sell them to customers. The salable quantity can be less than physical quantity. The difference comes from sales orders awaiting to ship.
- POS Location: your physical location, e.g. a physical store, popup store, and event store, that you want to sell items on POS.
To set up a new POS Location, follow the 4 steps below.
1. Create POS Location
- Go to POS > Manage Locations
- Click on Add Location.
- Fill in general information such as Location Name, Phone Number, etc.
- Choose the Magento Stock: if you haven’t created a new Source & Stock for that Location yet, you can choose the Default Stock. The items in this Stock will be displayed on the POS machines in this Location.
- Fill in the address of that Location.
- Finally, click on the Save button. You have created a new Location.
2. Create Magento Source
We use Magento Source to manage the real inventory (physical stock) of the items in the POS Location. So when you up a new POS Location, you also need to add a new Source in Magento:
- Go to Stores > Inventory > Sources in Magento Backend.
- Click on Add New Source button.
- Fill in the required fields in general information such as Name and Code.
- Go to Address Data section, then fill in the Country and Postcode. This information will be used to calculate the delivery distance in the shipment process.
3. Create Magento Stock
Magento Stock contains the salable quantity of the items in Source. The POS links to Stock to display items as well as salable quantity. Here’s how to create Stock:
- Go to Stores > Inventory > Stocks in Magento Backend.
- Click on Add New Stock button
- Fill in the Name of Stock, e.g: East Rand
- Assign Sources to this Stock: choose the Source which is created in the second step.
4. Link POS Location to Magento Stock
Go back to editing the POS Location, select the East Rand stock which you’ve created in the third step.
Save the POS Location information. The POS machines in that Location will display all items in the East Rand stock.